Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bike update - Fuel tank is finally home

I got a phone call this morning in the middle of a meeting from the local auto body and collision repair shop where I had dropped off my tank months ago telling me that the tank was complete.

Long story short, problems with the decals, plus time waiting for two sets of decals to ship, and I finally have the fuel tank home. The shop pushed the dents out from the inside, filled, primed, painted, applied decals, then clear-coated over the entire thing. They even knocked a serious amount off the price to make up for all the time and hassle, and I couldn't be happier.

Here are the after photos. I think the color they matched is slightly more brown with a tiny bit less red than original, but I don't think anyone will ever be able to tell. The only other parts on the bike that were that color are the side panels.




As of the time of this writing, the tank is on the last 30 minute rotation of the POR-15 Metal Prep and Ready solution. After that, it gets washed out with water, dried, then finally the POR-15 fuel tank liner gets poured in. It gets to sit for 4 days before it can come in contact with fuel. That means I should be able to mount it and start up the bike with the fuel tank for the first time sometime Sunday.

For reference, here are before photos showing the bike the night I brought it home, then closeup pictures of the biggest dent in the left side of the tank. The shop also pushed out a much smaller, and less noticeable dent on the other side.






No comments:

Post a Comment