Saturday, May 19, 2012

CB550K update

Today I had a chance to roll the bike outside for a quick photoshoot. This marks the first time the machine has seen daylight since I picked it up in early January of this year, and only the second time that it's been outside at all since the early 80's.


 More pictures here: 1977 Honda CB550 Four K

Last night I managed to get the rear brakes adjusted properly, wire-tied the cables along the frame and handle bars (note to self: handle bar bolts need to be torqued to spec), and got the front brake lines tightened and bled.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to pull the brake caliper off again and use the now-working master cylinder to push the pad and piston out of the caliper for cleaning. The piston doesn't seem to want to retract after you squeeze the brake handle, so I suspect it's gummed up or has air. The brake handle also feels rather squishy.

I'm also not sure that I got the clutch cover / clutch push rod assembled correctly. I have the adjuster screw backed out all the way, and the lever adjustment notches still don't quite line up. It also doesn't quite want to disengage, or is sticking in some way. Fixing all of this involves draining the oil and pulling the clutch cover again, at a minimum.

After those issues are worked out, I only have to apply the POR-15 tank repair kit after I get the tank back from the paint shop (which will happen within days of me receiving the new decal set in the mail), then install the tank, sync and adjust the carbs, get the bike re-registered and inspected, and get my class M permit. Not necessarily in that order.




No comments:

Post a Comment